Monday, September 23, 2013

Pandan Angku Kuih



This is my second attempt at making angku kuih.  In my previous post (purple sweet potato angku kuih), I remarked that the dough was too soft for my liking. Today, I replaced the rice flour with extra glutinous rice flour.  The dough turned out to be what I want, it is a little more chewy than the purple sweet potato angku kuih. I am pleased with this recipe.

Recipe: (yields 24 - 25 medium size kuihs)

Ingredients:

Dough
300g glutinous rice flour
100g sweet potato (steamed and mashed)
250g warm water
1 tablespoon fine sugar
1.5 tablespoon corn oil
1/2 teaspoon green colouring  and pandan  flavouring

Filling:
300g peeled split mung bean
200g sugar (suit individual taste, may add more or less)
3 tablespoon cooking oil

Banana leaves - cut into 24 -25 small round pieces, bigger than the cavity of the mould

Steps:

Filling:
1) Soak mung bean for 2 hours. Drained and  steamed for 45 minutes until softened.
2)  Blend until fine paste is achieved.
3) Heat the oil, fry paste, sugar and oil until sugar dissolved and slightly dry.
4) Scale 28g each portion and roll into balls.

Dough:
1) Combine dough ingredients and knead till it forms a pliable dough. Divide dough into 27g each portion, roll into balls. Flatten the ball using a rolling pin or with your palm.
2) Spoon the filling and bring all edge together to form a ball again.
3)  Place the kuih into a lightly dusted with glutinous flour mould, press it to set the shape.
4)  Knock out the kuih and place it on a greased banana leaf.
5)  Steam on medium heat for 10 -12 minutes.
6)  Remove the kuihs from  heat, brush lightly some cooking oil on the surface.


6 comments:

  1. Hoh Hoh Hoh , i like this AKK very much. The mould very nice. Look really traditional. You are well done. Yeah ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiyoh, yoh! another lovely angku kuih recipe. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irresistible green ku kuih! Lovely green colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Veronica!!
    With your permission, I took the recipe for watermelon sliced ​​bread ... I loved .. and you've explained it really great!
    A kiss and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I have tried your huat cake again and is successful.. now trying Ang ku kueh but My dough look dry and lots of crack lines.. help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merissa, Just add a little more of water to knead the dough until it forms a pliable dough. If it is too wet, add a little more of glutinous rice flour. I hope my explanation can help you. Hope to hear from you soon.

      Delete